Everyone wants to save a buck. But in some areas of life, the buck you save now will cost you many down the road. Creating protection for your loved ones when you are no longer able is one of those areas of life. Here are some of the reasons why most of the people who use internet form mills end up seeing a lawyer anyway.
- Putting together estate documents is not one size fits all. It is complicated. This is especially true if you’ve had multiple marriages, or have minor children, or a small business.
- Contemplating one’s death or that of a mate can be very emotional. Emotions don’t make for good decisions. That’s why good estate planning is more than just gathering documents. An experienced estate planner is accustomed to sorting through those emotions to get to the right decisions.
- When you die, your family will be in mourning and not themselves. Again, a bad time to make decisions or deal with unexpected problems. Any deficiencies in your estate documents would magnify that pain and possibly extend the process for a long time. Only by getting the right documents now can you avoid that.
- Estate documents are worthless if the assets are not properly transferred into your trust. It’s not a simple process. Do you know how to do that? I doubt it.
- Do you know how to keep your family out of court when your time comes? A will won’t do it. An estate planner can prevent that from happening.
- It’s not just about your death. A very high percentage of Americans will experience some degree of incapacity while they are alive. Do you know how to preserve your family’s access to your assets? It doesn’t happen automatically.
- Do you know how to protect your minor children if something happens to you and your mate? The police will be forced to turn them over to CPS, regardless of what your extended family wants. That’s a terrible thing for a child to experience.
- Planning your estate is not a one-time thing you check off your list. As your life evolves, your plan will have to change in order to be effective when it counts. The internet is not going to do that for you.